Thursday, November 8, 2012

Service Learning for Capstone

   Service Learning is a key requirement in curriculum at Westminster College. The goal of the requirement is for students to learn in the process of doing, and the doing should be helpful and beneficial to others. So how do I see the benefits of my Capstone topic? The video below sums it up better than I can say, but I will add my thoughts in text to please my professor.
     Exploring the concept of PTSD alone is valuable simply because our society must be more aware and compassionate towards the veterans that are suffering from it. So many more will be coming back from Afghanistan and will need help in diagnosing their symptoms, and finding the best treatment. I want my documentary to raise awareness, inform, and inspire anyone with PTSD, or anyone related to someone suffering from it.
   Exploring the use of Psychiatric Service Dogs as a way of helping a veteran regain his/her freedom and quality of life is invaluable as well. These animals can be so very useful to the everyday life of a veteran, its important for others to know and recognize that fact. I want this documentary to enhance the  learning and appreciation for the program, the dogs, and those who make it happen.  I hope more trainers, sponsors, and donors will rise up to keep helping these deserving veterans find the "best friend" they need.



No comments:

Post a Comment